Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Reflection #1

As an American visiting the Colosseum for the very first time in Rome, I no longer felt that it was only a large foundation of concrete that was built thousands of years ago. I was informed by our guide that the Colosseum was designed for entertaining the public crowds and was held by emperors such as Titus. They chose exotic animals which included lions, cheatahs, jaguars, elephants, etc. and ended with a fight to death with the gladiators. The Colosseum was the first ampitheater to ever be built in Rome and could hold 80,000 spectators.

I came to realize that the Colosseum was actually built for a specific reason and was very important to the Romans. It is very interesting to understand what people did for fun thousands of years ago and why they did it. I could relate to them because of what some people do now for fun such as bull fights, cockfights, etc. I feel that these death fights thrilled them because it was unusual for the gladiator to survive. Overall, I really loved visiting the Colosseum because I got a better feel of how the people were in that time period and realized they were very similar to us now days.

3 comments:

  1. Brooke,

    I agree with seeing similarities in our own culture with that of the Roman culture from thousands of years ago. I am excited for you to really jump into the history of the city and maybe you will find that the ancient Romans were just like us, only using differnt things than we use now. I am glad that you are enjoying your trip here and absorbing the cultural significance of this ancient city.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with what you said about understanding the people better now. I think visiting there helped me learn more and be able to picture how things were back then which helped me appreciate why all the stuff is so important now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The tour guide was pretty good, I really liked her. I think that it helped a lot of people to see what the Colosseum was supposed to look like back then, rather than the crumbling masterpiece it is today.

    ReplyDelete